Make your voice heard by taking part in WOW’s blogging event:
• Read and comment on blog posts featured on the National Elder Economic Security Initiative blog.
• Share the blog posts via Facebook, Twitter and e-mail
• Sign and send WOW’s statement of principles for elder economic security.
Let Congress know that you support federal funding to support elders ability to age in place with dignity. We need your voice to protect all things that build economic security for elders.
TUESDAY: On Housing, featuring…
- Barbara R. Stucki, Ph. D., National Council on Aging (NCOA):
"Reverse Mortgage Counseling - A 'Teachable Moment' for Financially Vulnerable Older Homeowners"
- Alayna Waldrum, LeadingAge
"Housing: Economic Security and an Essential Part of the Continuum of Care"
- Kate Birnbryer White, Elder Law of Michigan
"Can I Rent The American Dream?"
Authored by Stacy Sanders, Director of the Elder Economic Security Initiative at WOW
“All things are on the table,” is an often-heard mantra in the nation’s capital these days. Lawmakers on both sides of the aisle are looking to slash critical public assistance programs, ranging from housing subsidies to meals programs, and social insurance, including Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid.
Drastic spending cuts in these areas are paraded as an essential means of reigning in the nation’s debt. What’s often missing from this dialogue is the fact that these programs support basic economic security for elders and their families. It is increasingly important that advocates, service providers and citizens voice collective support for the many federally funded policies and services that allow elders to make ends meet. Cuts to these programs target vulnerable older adults who have already made disproportionate sacrifices.